The KNCCI Health Committee lead by KNCCI CVP 1 Dr Ruto & KNCCI CS, Mr. Kihara took part in the public participation at the National Assembly Health sector Committee on amendments of
1) THE HEALTH (AMENDMENT) BILL 2019
Referral is an integral part of daily patient management. The private health sector should be involved in the referral of patients to ensure timely care is accorded to the patients.
2) CANCER PREVENTION AND CONTROL BILL
Any legislation towards improvement of health, moreover among oncology patients is a long overdue concern. The oncology field has one of the fewest doctors to patient ratios and the training of oncology specialists is welcome. The private health sector is a key stakeholder in fighting cancer and the government should incorporate it in the training of specialists.
KNCCI health Committee tabled their submission as follows:
- The Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council to clearly state what procedures and treatment modalities are specialist ones.
- The Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council to register centers that perform specialist procedures and establish transparent criteria for such registration.
- These registered centers to keep a registry of referrals received, procedures performed and outcomes for appraisal.
- No referrals outside the country unless by a registered center and only through the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council final approval.
- The Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council to pre-qualify foreign facilities receiving referrals from Kenya establish Criteria for appraisal.
- The Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council to limit any foreign medical camp/ excursions especially those that aim to fish for referral patients.
- Establish a very strict code of conduct and standard for centers receiving referrals and their professional personnel.
Leave A Comment