The Kenya National Chamber of Commerce & Industry (KNCCI)- Busia Chapter held the Lake Region Private Sector Forum and Gala Dinner Awards on the 14th April, 2022 at the Busia Youth Polytechnic Grounds. The forum attracted participants from within the following counties; Bungoma, Busia, Homa Bay, Kakamega, Kisii, Kisumu, Migori, Nyamira, Siaya, Trans Nzoia, Kericho, Bomet, Nandi and Vihiga.
The forum comprised of exhibitions from various organizations and individual business persons in order to promote their products and services to the participants. The forum’s main focus was to unlock potential business opportunities, development in areas of financing, job creation, value chains, SME incubation & funding, MSMEs, village production centers, factory outlet centers, youth mentorship and business linkages, support for women in business, informal trade, innovation, cross border trade, and investment.
During the forum, KNCCI and Stanbic Bank Kenya signed a partnership to provide financial and non-financial support to Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) that are members of the chamber. Silvanus Mbogo Abungu, Chairman Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry Busia, said the partnership with the bank is an endorsement to fruitful collaboration over the years which will be of great support to MSMEs in the region. Stanbic Bank Kenya, Head of Business and Commercial Clients, Florence Wanja noted that the partnership agreement plays an important role in reinforcing the bank’s commitment to empowering MSMEs in the region and across the country.
The Gala Dinner Awards was graced by Siaya Deputy Governor, H.E. Dr James Okumbe. Various entrepreneurs were honored in various categories. KNCCI Busia chapter was awarded best Lake Region Chapter of the Year for organizing the 2015 Busia International Investment Conference (BIICO) that attracted many investors into the county. Other awards included;
- Busia Sugar Industry Limited at that scooped the Investor of the Year Award.
- Wonder B emerged the best in supermarkets category
- F Gas Limited best local Manufacturer of the year
- Lesfay Investors best distributor of the year
- Baraka Hardware, best Hardware of the year
- Hotel Breeze, Best Hotel of the year
- Hydro Victoria Fish, Aquaculture Award
- Creamy Way Enterprises, Best Agribusiness Category
- Akukuranut Development Trust, best Agri-Apiculture of the Year Award
- Jimmy Anyango, Youth In Business of the year category
- Francis Funeral Home, Women In Business of the year category
- KCB emerged the financial institution of the year (MSME) category
- Stanbic Bank Kenya awarded the best Partnership Bank of the year.
- Stephen Berenge, Busia Businessman Of The Year Award
KNCCI National leadership was represented by National Director and Chairperson Membership & Resource Mobilization Mr. Stephen Mbugua, KNCCI Chair LREB Director Mr. Rodgers Mulemi, KNCCI-Kisumu Chairperson Eng. Israel Agina, KNCCI CEO Mr. Samuel Matonda and KNCCI COO Mr. Patrick Nyangweso.
The Kenya National Chamber of Commerce & Industry (KNCCI) appreciates all the participants, exhibitors and sponsors ;Stanbic Bank Kenya, Absa Bank, KCB Bank, Coca Cola, Kimisitu Sacco, Ernest & Young , Liberty Life Assurance Kenya Ltd, Lake Region Economic Bloc(LREB), County Government of Busia, Send A Cow , Masinde Muliro University and Kenya Marine & Fisheries Research Institute